A CPS spokesperson said:
“Today, 7 March, former professional football coach Barry Bennell, 63, was informed that he has been charged with eight counts of non-recent child sexual abuse, following an investigation by Cheshire Police
“He will appear via video link at South Cheshire Magistrates’ Court on Monday, 13 March in relation to these charges.
“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against Mr Bennell are live and that he has a right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice ongoing proceedings.”
NOTES TO EDITORS
· Barry Bennell has been charged with:
o Five counts of buggery with a boy aged under 16
o Two counts of indecent assault on a boy aged under 14
o Indecent assault on a boy aged under 16
· The charges relate to two victims
· The alleged offences took place between 1980 and 1987
On 27 September 2016, the Crown Prosecution Service received a file of evidence from Cheshire Police relating to allegations of non-recent child sexual abuse involving a former football coach, Barry Bennell.
Following a review of the evidence, in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors, Mr Bennell was charged on 29 November with eight offences. He will next appear via video link at Chester Crown Court on 20 March.
He faces the following:
· Three counts of indecent assault – boy under 13;
· Three counts of indecent assault – boy under 16;
· Attempted buggery – boy under 16;
· Indecent Assault – boy under 16 (alternative count to attempted buggery).