A man who posted highly offensive and anti-Semitic articles relating to Luciana Berger MP in an online hate campaign has been convicted today (07 December).
The jury at the Old Bailey found Joshua Bonehill-Paine, 24, guilty of one count of racially aggravated harassment.
Bonehill-Paine, from Yeovil, Somerset, began posting the articles on two websites in 2014 following the conviction of another man who had posted similarly hateful content about Ms Berger. The new articles were described in court as ‘littered with hate’. He will be sentenced at a later date and the CPS will, in addition, apply for a Criminal Behaviour Order to restrict his access to devices with internet access.
Sarah Jennings, Special Casework lawyer from CPS London, said:
“The highly offensive, hateful and racist articles written by Bonehill-Paine in his online campaign against Ms Berger are indefensible.
“He claimed that the posts were appropriate within the bounds of free speech and freedom of political expression. However, the whole point of his posts was to aim anti-Semitic hostility towards Luciana Berger.
“Everyone has the right not to be harassed or subjected to racist abuse, no matter what position they hold in public life.”
1. Joshua Bonehill-Paine was charged with one count of Racially Aggravated Harassment, contrary to section 32(1)(a) of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998. The indictment in full:
Between the 26th day of October 2014 and the 25th day of January 2015 pursued a course of conduct, namely the posting of 5 defamatory and insulting articles on websites controlled by him, specifically:
(1) On 27/10/14 he posted an article entitled “Racist Anti-White Jewish Labour MP Luciana Berger exposed” to the Daily Bale website;
(2) On 4/11/14 he posted an article entitled “Is the Labour part a Jewish party” to the Daily Bale website;
(3) On 18/11/14 he posted an article entitled “ZOG attacks Daily Stormer in retaliation to successful Berger campaign” to the Daily Bale website;
(4) On 20/11/14 he posted an article entitled “Joshua Bonehill: On the eve of the battle” to the Daily Bale website;
(5) On 24/1/15 he posted an article entitled “The Legacy of Operation Filthy Jew Bitch” on joshuabonehill.net,
which amounted to the harassment of Luciana Berger, and which he knew or ought to have known amounted to the harassment of her in that and at the time of pursuing the course of conduct, or immediately before doing so, or after doing so, demonstrated towards Luciana Berger hostility based on her membership or presumed membership of a particular racial group, namely Jews.
2. Four of the articles were published in an online newspaper founded by Joshua Bonehill-Paine called The Daily BALE, standing for ‘Britain Against Left-wing Extremism’. It describes itself as ‘Britain’s No.1 Nationalist Newspaper’. The fifth article was published to a personal website operated by Bonehill-Paine, joshuabonehill.net.