The defendants faced charges including rape, sexual assault and false imprisonment relating to three victims aged as young as 13 at the time of the offences.
Peter Mann, Head of the Complex Casework Unit CPS Yorkshire and Humberside, said:
“The CPS has worked closely with South Yorkshire Police over the last two years to bring these defendants to justice.
“I would like first to pay tribute to the victims who have shown tremendous bravery in coming forward and helping us to build a strong prosecution case to put before the court, resulting in the jury convicting all the defendants of every count.
“In contrast to the courage and strength of the victims, these men’s actions are utterly abhorrent. They waged a campaign of sexual violence and intimidation against young girls in the Rotherham area 13 years ago.
“Their victims were targeted, sexualised, and in some cases subjected to degrading and violent acts. Sageer Hussain in particular took a leading role in befriending the young girls, and in the case of one victim, passed her on to his friends and other associates, assisted in various ways by the other defendants.
“We will continue to work closely with the police to prosecute these complex and sensitive cases, and obtain justice for the victims of such appalling crimes”
- The eight men went on trial at Sheffield crown court on 12 September 2016.
- All the defendants were prosecuted under the Sexual Offences Act 1956 which was the relevant Act at the time of these offences.
- Convicted on Monday 17 October 2016:
- SAGEER HUSSAIN - Rape x4 and Indecent assault x1
- MOHAMMED WHIED - Aid and abet, counsel and procure the offence of rape x1
- ISHTIAQ KHALIQ aka ISHTIAQ MOHAMMED KHALIQ - Rape x1 Indecent assault x3
- WALEED ALI - Rape x1 and Indecent assault x1
- ASIF ALI - Rape x1
- MASOUED MALIK - Rape x1, Conspiracy to commit indecent assault x1 and False imprisonment x1
- BASHARAT HUSSAIN - Indecent assault x1
- NAEEM RAFIQ - Conspiracy to commit indecent assault x1 and False imprisonment x1