Alison Levitt QC, Principal Legal Advisor to the DPP, said:
“The CPS received a file of evidence in relation to Lee Sandell from the Metropolitan Police Service on 9 August 2012. This file of evidence arose from Operation Sacha, the investigation into allegations of perverting the course of justice. Mr Sandell was employed by News International in a security role.
“We have concluded, having carefully considered the file of evidence, that there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and that it is in the public interest to charge Mr Sandell with conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.
“Mr Sandell will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Thursday 13 September.
“May I remind all concerned that Mr Sandell will now be charged with a criminal offence and that he has a right to a fair trial. It is very important that nothing is said, or reported, which could prejudice that trial. For these reasons it would be inappropriate for me to comment further."
- This statement is issued in the interests of transparency and accountability.
- Alison Levitt QC oversees CPS decision making, and potential prosecutions, in relation to the ongoing phone hacking investigations and other related matters.
- Lee Sandell is the sixth defendant to be charged with conspiracy to pervert the course of justice in relation to the events of 15-19 July 2011. The charges arising from Operation Sacha are therefore now the following:
1. CONSPIRACY TO PERVERT THE COURSE OF JUSTICE Rebekah Brooks between 6th July and 19th July 2011 conspired with Charles Brooks, Cheryl Carter, Mark Hanna, Paul Edwards, Daryl Jorsling and persons unknown to conceal material from officers of the Metropolitan Police Service
2. CONSPIRACY TO PERVERT THE COURSE OF JUSTICE Rebekah Brooks and Cheryl Carter between 6th July and 9th July 2011 conspired together permanently to remove seven boxes of material from the archive of News International.
3. CONSPIRACY TO PERVERT THE COURSE OF JUSTICE Lee Sandell, Rebekah Brooks, Charles Brooks, Mark Hanna, Paul Edwards, and Daryl Jorsling on a day between 15th July 2011 and 19th July 2011 conspired together, and with persons unknown, to do an act or series of acts which had a tendency to pervert the course of public justice, namely to conceal documents, computers and other electronic devices, from officers of the Metropolitan Police Service who were investigating allegations of phone hacking and corruption of public officials in relation to the News of the World and The Sun newspapers. Contrary to Section 1(1) Criminal Law Act 1977.